Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Meet the Director: Kevin Carr

Meet the Director: Kevin Carr

Kevin Carr. (photo by Caroline V. Sturtz)
Director Kevin Carr is no stranger to Shakespeare. Last year he stepped in, literally last minute, to help direct TLT's Much Ado About Nothing. His background with Shakespeare and classical shows is extensive, and we're happy to have him on board for Twelfth Night.


First, tell us a little about yourself and what you do when you're not involved in theater?

I moved to Tallahassee several years ago to pursue my PhD in Renaissance Drama at Florida State. These days, when I am not in the theater, I am either in the classroom teaching or desperately trying to finish my dissertation. I am also working hard to bring back the outdoor Southern Shakespeare Festival here in Tallahassee.

How did you first get started in theater? What drew you to it?

I grew up in Boston (which has a lot of great theater companies) but my parents never brought me to the theater. I was very lucky to go to high school that had an outstanding arts education program. That was how I got hooked! My English teachers brought us to see productions at a professional theater company several times a year. I started acting and directing shows at the same time. I love the collaborative aspect of it. There are so many people involved in a production. The sets, the lights, the costumes, the sound, and the acting all come together to create something really magical.

What specifically drew you to direct Shakespeare and Twelfth Night?

Well, I've seen the play, I've acted in the play, and I've taught the play, but I've never directed it. I've always wanted to create a carnival celebration full of color, warmth, and silliness. I've always loved the setting of Illyria, and felt like it would be a pretty cool place to hang out! Our production really captured the beauty of this place where everyone is constantly falling in and out of love!

I always remind my students that Shakespeare was meant to be enjoyed in the theater, not in the classroom!! Shakespeare's extraordinary language was written to be heard, not to be read. We just don't have any dramatic writer today who can match the intensity and beauty of Renaissance verse and prose. Shakespeare’s language is such a challenge for actors and directors. That’s why I love it!

What was the last show you directed and where?

Over the past year, I co-directed the TLT production of Much Ado About Nothing, and a production of Doctor Faustus at the Warehouse. Last year was very busy, and this year will be even busier!

What would you say is your biggest challenge on this show?

It is really challenging to work with actors who have never performed Shakespeare before. Shakespeare's language is so demanding for actors. But this is a fantastic and enthusiastic cast, and they were up for the challenge.

What is your vision for this production? What do you hope audiences take away from the experience?

I want the production to be an escape for the audience. Among other things, this is a silly comedy about love and the pursuit of love. In tragedies like Romeo and Juliet, we feel the pain of love; in comedies like Twelfth Night, we laugh at it.

Why should people come to see Twelfth Night?

Beautiful set. Beautiful costumes. Beautiful music. Beautiful words… (and beautiful actors!!). What more could you ask for?!!

Twelfth Night opens January 17th and runs through January 27. Thursday, Friday and Saturday evening performances are at 8 pm and Sunday matinees are at 2 pm. Purchase your tickets by calling the Box Office at 850-224-8474 or clicking here!

No comments:

Post a Comment