Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Meet the Cast of "The 39 Steps" - Melissa Findley

Meet Melissa Findley


Melissa plays three different women in TLT's production of The 39 Steps (showing now through September 2): a German spy, a young Scottish milkmaid, and Pamela, the reluctant sidekick/heroine. Unlike the two "clowns" of the show, she gets to spend a bit longer as each character, but her challenges are a different sort.

Meet the woman behind the wigs:

Tell us a little about who you are when you’re not on stage.
When I'm not on stage, I'm usually backstage. I spend a lot of time volunteering at TLT. It's sort of my home away from home. I do a lot of set design (including some elements of this show), stage managing, and scenic painting. When I'm not working at the theater, I'm an illustrator, focusing mainly on fantasy artwork. I've done art for several games, including "A Game of Thrones: The Card Game" and "Lord of the Rings: The Card Game."

How did you first get involved in theater?

I've always loved theater. When I was a kid I would put on little plays with all the neighborhood kids. I first auditioned for a part in high school, and I acted and worked backstage the whole way through college. I took a break from theater for about eight years after college, but when I moved to Tallahassee and saw that there was a community theater only a few blocks from my house, I couldn't resist getting back into it.

What do you love most about acting?
I love telling stories. They've done studies that show that fiction actually influences people more than fact, because we empathize with fictional characters and we can see things from their perspective. Acting does that in a big way--and you can literally feel the audience responding to the story. No other form of art lets you do that the way live theater does. I want to make people laugh and cry and fall in love.

What drew you to The 39 Steps?
A lot of things. I love old movies, including Hitchcock films. I love shows that remind me of old school theater and vaudeville. There are very few modern technological tricks in this show. We do almost everything the way theater has been done for centuries. Most of all I loved the idea of playing these three women, who are all so very different, but so very funny and strong and human in their own ways. The physical comedy aspect, plus the chance to do all these accents made it irresistible.

What has been the most challenging aspect of this show for you?
Physically this is a hugely demanding show. And you can't be self conscious about it--which I sometimes am. Like a lot of women, I have a lot of self-image issues. You have to put that all aside for this show. You have to be willing to be ridiculous and sexy at the same time. And you also have to be willing to get a little bruised. We work really hard to make sure everything is safe, but I still have a fantastic collection of bruises right now, from my death fall to all the handcuff stuff.

What would you say to encourage someone to try acting?
If you have ever sat in an audience and wondered what it would be like to be up there on stage, do it. It's the most rewarding feeling in the world to bring a show to life every night. Is it a little scary? Yes. Absolutely. But it's also exciting and fun, and you will do all kinds of things that you would never get to do in your normal, day-to-day life. You'll never know until you try.

Tickets are selling fast for The 39 Steps.  Book yours today by calling 850-224-8474 or visiting http://tallahasseelittletheatre.org/39Steps .

Bob Myers (left) and Melissa Findley as "Pamela" in The 39 Steps

No comments:

Post a Comment