Monday, August 20, 2012

Meet the Cast of "The 39 Steps": Travis Young

Meet Travis Young


Travis plays one of the two "clown" characters in TLT's production of The 39 Steps (playing now through September 2). In just under two hours he plays more than 20 different characters: a traveling underwear salesman, a thug, a newspaper boy, an old man, a fencepost, a policeman, a showman, a sheriff, a villain and more. Most of these require fast costume changes and lightning fast changes in accent or characterization.

Travis gives us a little glimpse at the man behind all the hats:

What do you do when you're not on stage?
Well, I'm actually currently just working part time, but I'm looking at going back to school for English lit to go into education. I've been a lot of things while I was a student at FSU, but teaching has always been the highlight of everything I've done.

How did you get involved in theatre?
On a bet actually. I'd done theatre as a child, but I was telling a friend of mine how touched I was by a performance I saw when I was very young of A Fiddler on the Roof staring Topol. We were watching a touring production of Cinderella and she looked just me and said "Well, why don't you go audition for a show if it means I that much to you?" Well of course I said no, as most 19 year olds would, and she looked at me with a grin and said "What's wrong? Chicken?" So with ego and hat in hand I went to my first audition for a show as an adult called Sockdology.

What do you love most about acting?
I love the chance to touch people's lives. If I can make a person laugh, cry, or think, then I've succeeded.

What drew you to The 39 Steps?
Well, I love Alfred Hitchcock a lot. Two of my favorite movies of his growing up were North by Northwest and The 39 Steps. My family was notorious for watching older movies over a newer film. I loved his television show, too. When I found out that the theatre was thinking about doing the show I was excited and eager to audition.

What has been the most challenging aspect of the show for you?
Oof, definitely the costumes. I had the opportunity to see this show in London in 2007 while studying abroad there, and I knew going into this rehearsal process that that would make or break a lot of the show for me and my "character".

What would you say to encourage someone to try acting?
Do it! I took a bet from a friend, but you don't have to wait for that. There are auditions every day or week or month somewhere. Just go out and do them. Talk to the actors (we don't bite! Well... Most of us don't.) and learn from what you see and do and then try again! The biggest thing would be to not get discouraged if you don't get cast, though. Remember, you are there with 2 or 10 or 20 other people gunning for the same roll you are and believe me, the director is praying that one of you are the perfect fit for what they have in mind. Just know that if you aren't, that doesn't mean that you won't be next time!


Tickets are selling fast for The 39 Steps. Call 850-224-4847 to get yours today. You can also book them online at http://tallahasseelittletheatre.org/39Steps .
Travis Young (left) and Derek Nieves as thugs in The 39 Steps

No comments:

Post a Comment